Alambre de Pollo-Red Chile Marinated Chicken Skewers with Bacon, Red Onion, and Anaheim Peppers. I can’t say that our family grilled outdoors all of the time, but when we did, it was always a special time. Whether it was for a family dinner, Mother’s Day or family visiting from Mexico, there were a few staple dishes that we loved. One of our favorites, were alambres or meat skewers. Most often we only prepared beef alambre, but for today’s recipe, I switched it out and used chicken. Here is another great use for the recado rojo, chile marinade I have on the blog. Prepare it once and you can use it in several recipes, including beef, pork and shrimp. And with grilled alambre, we always had a side of Mexican rice and frijoles a la charra. You can find those two recipe on site, along with many tasty salsa recipes to make it a complete meal.
These honey garlic chicken skewers are an absolute favourite with everyone.
Lewis will even eat the onion (notorious onion finder and remover) as they take on that lovely honey-garlic flavour.
Yields 10 skewers-alambres
3 large boneless chicken breast
1 cup Recado Rojo, Chile Marinade(see link below)
4 Anaheim peppers, or 2 green bell peppers, sliced into 1 inch pieces
1 large red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 pound center cut bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
Salt and pepper
10-ten inch metal skewers
1. I like to butterfly the chicken breast, for a thinner cut, then slice them into 1 inch pieces. Transfer to a glass bowl, lightly season with salt and pepper, add chile sauce. Stir well to combine, cover and marinate in refrigerator for 3 hours.
2. When chicken is done marinating, line a large baking sheet with easy release foil paper, set aside. I like to skewer in this sequence: Pepper, onion,bacon, the chicken. Transfer to lined baking sheet as you finish each skewer.
3. When you are all done there should be about 5 to 6 pieces of chicken on each skewer. Yields 10 skewers. Preheat outdoor grill on high for 7-10 minutes. When ready, brush grates with oil and place alambres on grill. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning every few minutes and rotating as needed. Serve with your favorite salsa and lime wedges. Great for tacos or over rice.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and pour on three-quarters of the marinade (reserving the rest). Place in the fridge (covered) for an hour.
- Thread the marinated chicken on skewers along with pieces of red pepper and onion.
- Place the skewers on a smoking hot griddle or BBQ , and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally until cooked through and the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Brush with the reserved marinade halfway through cooking.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and coriander before serving
For Oven Method: Move the top rack of the oven so it is about 10 inches from the broiler. Preheat broiler on high for 10 minutes. Drizzle a little olive oil onto chicken skewers. Broil for 8 minutes, turn over and broil for another 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes.